Plan a summer move with less stress
Summer holidays are fast approaching and for many separating families whose family home sold in the spring market, that means a mid-summer move. Moving is a big stressor and combined with a separation it can be a lot for parents and children to cope with.
Here are a few tips to make your move less stressful:
- Many Toronto lawyers take summer vacation – make sure that the proper paperwork is signed before your lawyer leaves for vacation so everything can run smoothly on the day of closing and the proceeds from sale can either be distributed in accordance with joint directions or held in trust if an agreement has not yet been reached.
- Involve your children in designing and setting up their new rooms – let them choose the paint colour even if it doesn’t quite match with your colour palette! It will help your children get excited and feel connected with your new home.
- Make sure all of your new insurance and utilities are set up in advance of your purchase date, if you have bought a new house.
- Take some time to explore your new neighbourhood with your children on foot, by bike and by car – check out some local parks, stores and restaurants.
- Set realistic goals for yourself in unpacking and settling into your new home, balancing between the desire to put everything away and the need to take some breaks and get outside and enjoy the summer
By the time the children go back to school in September, your new house and neighbourhood will start to feel like home!